Saturday, June 23, 2012

Things I'm learning along the way...

Tuesday marks week 6 of my 6 week habit change challenge brought on by Scentsy's Wellness coach, Lee Leslie. How is it that depending on what you're doing, 6 weeks can either seem like eternity or the blink of an eye?
Regardless, what a change 6 weeks has brought to me and my body!
When I started the challenge, I have to say, there was a week of cranky Amanda. I wanted sugar, eating out was torture and I walked around 24/7 with a headache. I didn't like it, but it was only 6 weeks. Surely I could make it!

So this is what I've learned about all things 'habit changing' in the last 6 weeks...

We, as society, want quick fixes. We don't want to have to work too hard for what we want. Pills, potions, starving ourselves etc. have become our 'go to' ways to fix the damage we've done to our bodies. We're cheating ourselves out of lifelong health & wellness because, well, we're lazy. God has already provided a way for us to be fit, why aren't we using it?

We also like to make excuses. Lots of them. Excuses like, "I can't do it", "I can't give up fries", "I can't work out because...", "I'm a picky eater", "I love food too much", "I'm okay with being overweight" Said it before? I have. I've said all of those in fact. Quit making excuses. You're only hurting yourself. You're giving yourself permission to fail before you even begin. When you get on the scale and it doesn't move or goes up, there's no one else to blame. I'm not trying to be harsh by any means, but it's reality. When I was ready to quit making excuses, I was rewarded. Don't let yourself give in to a craving because you know you can start over the next day. Just don't eat it! I promise that you'll be reminded how not worth it that bite was when you get on the scale.

Sugar is the 'debil'. :) Okay, so not really, but wow, has my attitude towards it changed. In Coach's 6 week habit change, we're challenged to give up all white sugar for 6 weeks. Week 1 was tough, week 2 was easier, and here at week 6, I don't even care. Cookies, cakes, ice cream are not appealing. I was the girl who said 'there's no way I can give up dessert!' I loved them, but what I've learned is that it's just, if not more, addictive than caffeine. It's almost like a little drug for our bodies. That's why when you go for a little while without it, it's all you think about.
When you can get it out of your body, everything changes. I can focus better, my tummy doesn't feel heavy, I'm not sluggish or tired all the time like before, and no sugar crashes. Does this mean I'll live completely sugar free my whole life, probably not, but it is NOT my go to desire any longer. What freedom!

Water is a cure for insomnia! No, I'm not a doctor, but I would say that if you have trouble sleeping at night, start getting all your water in. Drink those 8 glasses if it's all you do all day. You'll need to go to the bathroom a lot in the beginning while your body adjusts, but when it's all settled, you will feel 1000 times better! I've always had trouble sleeping, but can drift off easily into very restful sleep which I treasure! On top of that, when I wake up, I'm up. No grogginess! I'm ready to take on the day. Gold my friends, gold!

Eating out is hard when you're taking care of yourself. End of story! But, it's not impossible. It takes planning and thinking ahead. Not listening to your stomach and making the best choices you can. When I find something I can have at a fast food or sit down restaurant, I save it in my phone so it's at my touch next time we have to eat out. I also use my MFP app which is my best friend right now! If you're not found www.myfitnesspal.com , do it and then add me :) My username is gamjohn .

Working out really can be a stress reliever. Just ask my husband after I hide in my room for 30 min. on my elliptical when my girls are making me pull my hair out. I'm a much nicer/calmer person afterwards. You can also ask the girl in the mirror when she gets that happy sigh of relief when she see's a new number on her measuring tape. It can totally turn your day around.

Finally, eating better is not cheap or easy, but you know what? Neither am I! :)


I don't claim to have all the answers in this whole process, but what I can tell you is just how much better I feel. Inside and out. I'm proud of myself for working so hard to take care of me. You know what? THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME SELFISH! It makes me smart!

I committed myself to 6 weeks of habit changing. Besides more knowledge on how our bodies work, better sleep, a stronger body and mind, more energy, and a happy me, I am 16 lbs lighter and 24" smaller.

Would you commit yourself to 6 weeks of habit changing if those were your results?






1 comment:

  1. So proud of your Sticktoittiveness!! Love your blogs and cant wait for your recipes!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete